Have you ever come across a situation when you are confronted with a plumbing disaster? Here are a few plumbing emergency tips any homeowner in London should be aware of in case anything unexpected occurs in his or her household.
We also remind you that you can count on our plumbers in London whenever you have an emergency.
What types of plumbing emergencies can a London homeowner face?
The piping system of a London home can be quite complex, which is why when having a plumbing emergency, the following fixtures and appliances need to be checked:
- in the bathroom, you should always check the sink, the bathtub, and the toilet when you find water on the floor;
- in the kitchen, you should verify the sink, the dishwasher, and the garbage disposal, if you find water or any remaining;
- if your home has a basement, it is recommended to check if any pipe has burst if you notice a low water pressure;
- if you have a garden with a sprinkler system, that may be the cause of your leak.
Our local plumbers recommend you not to try and fix the problem yourself, as you could do more damage if you cannot identify the problem correctly.
The first measures to take in case of a plumbing emergency
If you detect any water or gas leakage, our emergency plumber in London advises you to:
- turn off the main water supply line and remove the water from the floor;
- turn off any electrical appliances by disconnecting them from the power;
- in case of a gas leak, you should open the window and get out of the house;
- you can also move the furniture, in case of a water leakage.
Turn off the water
Our first plumbing emergency tip is to turn off the water to stop it from flowing. Get familiarized with the location of the water shutoff valve and the shutoffs for the different appliances and fixtures in the property. If only one of them is causing the water to spill, turn it off first by rotating the valve clockwise. In case you have a leaking pipe or any other emergency, do the same with the main valve.
Shut off the water heater
In case your water heater is on gas, turn the gas valve – which generally has a red handle – to 90 degrees to shut it off. If you have an electric water heater, turn off the circuit breaker for the electric water heater on the electrical panel.
This is important because after the water is off, pressure and hot water build up in the heater. If you do not shut off the water heater, it may burst or cause other unpleasant events. If it overheats, after the water is back on, a member of your family may get burnt badly when turning on the hot water for the first time.
Make an evaluation of the damages in London
Analyze the extent of the damage before calling a professional specialized in plumbing services in London. The details you give him or her over the phone will offer the specialized person a clear idea of the issue and enable him or her to fix it more quickly by making sure he or she brings the right plumbing tools and accessories.
Call a plumber in London
When facing a plumbing emergency in London, it is crucial to have a professional plumber taking care of the issue. Give the plumber inLondon as much information as possible on what fixtures are affected and the measures you have taken to fix or deal with the issue at hand.
If you are faced with a plumbing emergency in London, we are here to fix it as quickly, safely and cost-effectively as possible without further damage to your home; please do not hesitate to contact us.