One of the most important parts of the plumbing system of a house or building in London is the septic system in which wastewater and other debris are collected. The septic system is very important because it must ensure a correct collection of the waste. When building a new house or moving into an older one, making sure the septic system is correctly dimensioned is essential. However, this is not the only aspect to consider when checking the septic system in your house in London.
Below, our plumbers in London explain the main types of septic systems and how they work.
If you want to have a new septic system installed, or to set up a septic inspection or tank repair for a current one, our reputable plumbers in London can help. Here are the types of septic systems used in London.
What are the main types of septic systems in London?
Not just in London, but all over the world, there are various types of septic systems which can be used based on different criteria. The most important septic system is that of the entire country, city, in our case, and to which each individual septic system is connected.
The following types of septic systems can be found in London:
- the septic tank which is the most common type of system used for household and commercial purposes in London;
- the conventional system which consists of a septic tank linked to a wastewater infiltration system, also known as a drainfield;
- the chamber septic system which consists of a gravelless drainfield, however, this is seldom found in London;
- the drip distribution system which is quite complex, and which is connected to a well and a septic tank which then goes into a drainfield;
- the Aerobic Treatment Unit (ATU) which follows the same procedures as the London municipality’s sewage system;
- the mound system which is suitable for areas with shallow soil depth or high groundwater in London;
- the sand filter system which can be built above or below the ground and which come with several advantages;
- the evapotranspiration system which is used in specific environmental conditions, such as London’s weather conditions (these systems do not work in places where it snows);
- the constructed wetland system which is suitable for London’s weather conditions, given the fact that here it rains almost every day;
- the cluster or community septic system which connects several houses to the central sewage system and which is quite popular in London’s residential areas.
Even if most of these septic systems work in London, there are various aspects consider when choosing the sewage system for your home.
Our emergency plumber inLondon advises homeowners to choose traditional septic systems, such as septic tanks which work perfectly in the city-state. These are also special things to consider for those living in areas of the city where the water infiltrates in the ground, case in which the evapotranspiration system or the wetland system is recommended.
1. Septic tank based systems in London
A single septic tank based system in London is made of an underground container or tank which is meant to receive and settle wastewater.
The solid materials gather at the inferior side as sludge and the oil, grease, and fat get settled at the surface, forming a layer of scum. Our emergencyplumber in London can provide more details on this matter.
Anaerobic bacteria, which is bacteria that do not need oxygen, appear in the tank and break down the solid waste.
Inside a fully functional septic tank, bacteria can decrease the solid waste by 50 to even 60%. The liquid from the sludge on the inferior side of the septic tank and the top scum (named effluent) pours out from the tank in the disposal site.
Then, the sludge and the scum coats are pumped out on a regular basis. This is done by septic pumping companies.
2. Conventional septic systems
Just like the name implies, the conventional septic tank systems are basic ones. There are two types of conventional septic systems:
• The septic systems in London which use gravity in order to move the wastewater from the tank into the field;
• The septic system which utilizes a pump to move the water.
Septic tanks in gravity systems are located on higher grounds than the drain field, which enables the flow of water into the tank and then in the drain field.
As about the pressure distribution systems, our plumbers in London can provide detailed information on the subject.
3. Can plumbers near me set up alternative septic tank systems in London?
These can be:
• Aerobic treatment units (ATU);
• Mound systems;
• Sand filter systems.
Our emergency plumber inLondon can offer all the necessary information on these types of alternative septic systems in London.
The best way of choosing a septic system for a home in London
London is one of a kind when it comes to weather conditions, which is why choosing a septic system can become quite challenging. In order to choose an appropriate septic system for your home in London, you should consider the following:
- the size of the house or building is the most important aspect when moving or constructing into a new establishment;
- the local regulations must also be considered, and London has specific plumbing regulations;
- the soil type is very important and, as mentioned above, London’s soils are usually infiltrated with water;
- the weather conditions are also to be taken into consideration when having a house built in the city;
- the proximity to the central sewage system which can have the advantage of a lower cost when having the septic system connected to the city’s sewage system.
No matter the choice, the septic tank remains the preferred type of septic system of most homeowners in London.
For detailed information or assistance in choosing the right type of septic system for your home, our London plumbers are at your disposal with professional advice.
As general information, it is good to know that the plumbing industry in London is quite developed according to statistics which indicate that:
- the number of houses to be built by 2021 is expected to increase from 26% to 37%;
- in 2018 there were more than 260 companies offering plumbing services in London;
- in these companies work more than 600 licensed local plumbers;
- generally, the large-scale plumbing services offered by London-based plumbers offer a long-term guarantee which can last up to 10 years.
For more details on septic types in London, as well as for assistance related to any plumbing services in London, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us. If you decide to build a new home and need the professional advice of our plumbers in London on the best type of septic system to use or you want to have your old septic tank replaced, you can count on us.
We invite you to contact us for more details concerning the types of septic systems that can be installed in your home. We can provide this service during home renovation projects, when you want to repipe a house or independently from any other plumbing service.
Please contact us for a full list of other plumbing services available for residential and commercial clients.
We invite you to call our plumbers in Ilford for plumbing services in this part of London. The plumbers located there can assist any type of residential and commercial plumbing issue.
You can also rely on this team for emergency plumbing services, which can be requested by clients outside the regular working hours, and even during the weekend or the national holidays.