The bathroom is one of the rooms in a home which can cause quite a few plumbing problems in time. Old appliances, such as the toilet, the shower or the bathtub are among those which can cause the most serious issues.
When it comes to the toilet, there are several problems which can appear. In case your toilet has leaks or cracks, utilizes too much water per flush or simply has grown out of fashion, it might be the time to replace it. You might consider hiring a good plumber in London for the supply and installationof a new toilet bowl. With a vast experience in resolving all sorts of bathroom problems, our London plumbing professionals can inspect and recommend how to deal with an old leaky toilet bowl. Because the supply and installation of a toilet bowl can be complicated, the homeowner should make sure the problem is resolved correctly in order to save money and other unpleasant effects of a wrong plumbing job.
What to do before buying a new toilet bowl?
Because of the wide variety of toilet bowl models, our plumbers in London recommend to first measure the space you had the old one installed in. It is also a good idea to consult with one of our local plumbers on the model of toilet bowls you want to have the old one replaced with, as we can help you choose one that will also help you save water.
From our experience, a London homeowner must also pay attention to the waste pipe the toilet bowl is connected to. This must usually be placed at a 12-inch distance from the wall. However, there are also other models which need to be placed closer to the wall, case in which, choosing the right toilet bowl can become somewhat difficult.
Another aspect to consider with the supply and installation of a toilet bowl is to buy brass bolts which resist to corrosion, given the high level of humidity in a bathroom.
Types of toilet bowls for your bathroom in London
In order to correctly supply and install a toilet bowl in a bathroom, London homeowners must first choose the right model. Given the options nowadays, they can choose between:
- the gravity-feed model which is the conventional toilet bowl found in most homes around the world;
- the pressure-assisted toilet which is also very common in bathrooms in London;
- the dual-flush toilet which a modern and quite popular because of the water efficiency it offers;
- the double-cyclone toilet which a rather new model, which hasn’t become very popular yet.
There are also other ways of distinguishing between toilets:
- there is the one-piece toilet which has both the tank and bowl integrated;
- the two-piece toilet, which is the most employed one and is made of a separate tank and bowl;
- the wall-mounted toilet, which is a two-pieces toilet with the tank hidden inside the wall.
The last type of toilet is usually found in commercial spaces, such as office buildings and shopping malls, which is why our plumbers in London recommend homeowners to choose between the one-piece and the two-piece toilet.
The material of the toilet bowl is also important, and the most common ones are plastic and ceramic. Our local plumbers usually recommend ceramic ones because they resist better in time and they also look better.
Other considerations for the supply and installation of a toilet bowl
When having the toilet replaced, there are many aspects one should consider. From the design to the type of flush the toilet will use, there are many aspects to consider. This is why it is a good idea to ask for professional advice from the beginning.
Our plumbers in London will explain everything there is to know when buying a new toilet. For example, one will now find on the market intelligent toilets which rely on motion sensors. There are also conventional toilets which can help a homeowner reduce the water bill. Even if these are more expensive, in time the investment can turn out to be to the owner’s advantage.
Homeowners can even choose where the flush handle of the toilet is located or can purchase a toilet with a touchless flush. However, it is best to pay attention to the other appliances in the bathroom before making any purchase.
Installation of a toilet bowl in London
For the installation of a new toilet bowl, the following steps are taken:
1. Removing the old toilet:
• turning off the water at the shutoff valve;
• flushing the toilet to let all the water out from the toilet tank and bowl;
• using a plunger to push any water left down the drain line;
• removing any water from the tank with a sponge and a bucket. If you need the help of a reliable plumber in London who will safely remove the old toilet, feel free to ask for our assistance.
2. Disconnecting the supply line:
It consists of:
• disconnecting the supply line with an adjustable wrench;
• maintaining the water pipe secure when attempting to loosen the supply line from the valve.
3. Lifting the tank and toilet bowl:
• disconnecting and taking away the tank from the bowl by extracting the bolts from the bottom of the tank, using an adjustable wrench;
• taking out the tank by lifting it.
4. Unbolting the tank and toilet bowl from the floor:
It is made of:
• popping the toilet bolt caps;
• utilizing a pair of pliers or an adjustable wrench to take out the nuts and washers on the bolts which secure the bowl to the floor.
5. Verifying for caulking around the bowl base:
• verifying if the toilet bowl was caulked around the base where it joins with the floor;
• lightly rocking the toilet bowl back and forwards until it can be freed and lifted.
6. Verifying the bolt around the flange:
It consists of:
• verifying the state of the current toilet bowl bolts in the flange from the floor drain;
• removing the old wax ring by utilizing a putty knife and wiping away all excess with a damp sponge or rag;
• stuffing a rag into the open line in the floor.
7. Inspecting the flange for any damages:
• Inspecting the flange.
8. Placing the new wax ring:
• either resting the new toilet bowl on the side and attaching the replacement wax ring at the bottom of the bowl; or
• more commonly, one of our plumbers in London will be placing the wax ring in position on the flange before setting the bowl into its place.
9. Placing the toilet bowl on the flange:
• aligning the bolt holes at the base of the bowl with the bolts inside the flange.
10. Securing the toilet:
It is made of:
• placing a washer and nut on every toilet bowl bolt and tightening evenly the nuts onto the bolts;
• cutting any excess bolts from over the top of the washers and nuts with a hacksaw;
• placing the tank onto the bowl, arranging the shank of the bolts with the holes in the bowl.
11. Attaching the tank to the toilet bowl:
It consists of:
• putting the tank on the floor;
• installing the “tank to bowl” gasket onto the base of the flush valve and inserting the tank bolts and washers from the inside of the tank if necessary;
• putting the tank on the bowl;
• securing the tank;
• reattaching the supply line;
• testing the toilet for any leaks.
12. Choosing a brand new toilet seat: from our experience, most toilets with two pieces are not supplied with a toilet seat. This has to be bought separately. Choose a toilet seat which fits the toilet model of your choice.
Supply of toilet bowls in London
When it comes to the supply of the toilet bowl, our plumbers in London will recommend homeowners where to purchase it from. One should always use the services of professional stores which supply toilets in London and with our help choose the right type for your bathroom.
With a vast experience in any type of plumbing issues, our professionals in London will guide you through the purchase of a suitable toilet bowl and will then handle the installation of the appliance. Once installed, our emergency plumber in London will verify it for any water leaks and will make sure it works properly.
We have supplied and installed toilet bowls in London for many years as well as serviced many other different plumbing issues. Please contact our plumbers in London to find out more. You can rely on us for any plumbing issue you encounter around the house or apartment in London. Our local plumbers also offer emergency plumbing services in London, so you can rely on us all the time.